Marathon Man… I did it!

As a result of damage wrought by arthritis, I had a total hip replacement in April 2012. My quality of life had deteriorated to such an extent that I did not find the decision to opt for the procedure a difficult one. The operation was carried out with an epidural injection.

I had the operation on a Saturday morning and was visited by a physiotherapist that same afternoon. In the days that followed I practised walking up and down the hospital corridor on crutches before progressing to stairs. I was released within the week armed with a regime of exercises to be carried out on my own.

I must admit to having found the month that followed somewhat frustrating. Fiercely independent by nature, I did not enjoy having my movements restricted. I was also surprised to find the extent to which the anaesthetic affected me. I remember feeling very, very tired. Still, determined to be on my feet as soon as possible, I carried out my exercises and took myself for walks whenever possible.

Approximately a month after the operation, I had consultation with my surgeon who referred my for further physiotherapy. Those sessions continued once a week for about 6 months. Each time I was armed with revised exercises to carry out at home, which I did.

In my youth I had been extremely fit and, whilst middle age had taken its toll on my girth, I was determined to recover some of my previous form. I, therefore, decided to run a half-marathon. Post-operative physiotherapy had left me able to walk perfectly well, but not to run. Consequently, at the beginning of 2013 I engaged the services of a trainer promulgating the benefits of the Z health system. I also started doing Pilates classes twice a week.

In June 2013 I ran my first race. It was a 2-miler. It took place early one Saturday morning. It took me the rest of the day to recover. So progressed the rest of last year. The race distances went up. The times fell as did the recovery times. In February of this year I completed my objective and ran a half-marathon. The time was slow at 2 hours 44 minutes, but I did it.

My aim now is to work primarily on speed, agility and strength. I shall keep running, but mainly so as not to lose cardio-vascular fitness.

Earlier I mentioned that there were parameters to my willingness to help. I feel that it is very important to celebrate and share goodnews as well as saying thank you to those who have played a part in bringing it about. At the same time I am private by nature and we live in a world that is no respecter of privacy. There is, therefore, a balance to be struck.

I have set out my story to date and you are very welcome to use it, if helpful. I do not, however, wish to be identifiable. Consequently, I should be grateful if you would use my initials rather than my name. It follows that I would be grateful if you did not publish my photograph. Sorry!